Motorhome FAQs

Driving Licence requirements and Info

A frequently asked question is ‘Do I need a special driving licence to drive a motorhome?’ or similarly ‘Can I drive a motorhome on my car licence?’.

The general answer is no, a special driving licence is not required if your licence was gained before 1st January 1997. However, if you passed your driving test after 1st January 1997 then an additional driving test must be passed in order to be able to drive a motorhome over 3500kg.


If your motorhome weighs over 3500kg but does not exceed 7500kg the you will need to hold a driving licence that includes category C1 entitlement. If your licence does not have category C1 then you may not drive a motorhome that exceeds 3500kg until you have passed the additional C1 driving test. Any driving licence gained before 01/09/1997 will already have C1 on the licence. Any driving licence gained after 01/09/1997 will require the additional test in order to include the category C1. And if your motorhome exceeds 7500kg then you will need a Category C (HGV Licence).

The additional C1 driving test must also be adapted to the characteristics of the vehicle that you will be driving. Meaning that a different test will be given to those who require category C1 solely for leisure purposes.


Medical/age requirements:

For those drivers who passed your test before 01/01/1997 and want to keep your C1 entitlement will need to present a D4 medical report form, completed by a medical practitioner, with a D2 application when renewing your licence.

When renewing a C1 entitlement at the age of 70+, a Medical Examination Report (D4) that has been filled in by a doctor needs to be sent. This needs to be done every 3 years.


For additional information please follow link below:

Get in touch